“It’s the most wonderful time of the year. With the kids jingle belling, and everyone telling you be of good cheer. It’s the most wonderful time of the year.”
As moms, we love to make special memories with our families, and what better time of year to do that than the holiday season. While we can’t count on snowball fights and sledding in East Texas, there are many other options, and not all great memories have to come with a big price tag! Here are just a few ideas…
- Decorate Tree – What better way to get the holidays started than decorating the tree together? Try a local Christmas tree farm to make even more special memoires. We love Yesterland Farm in Canton.
- Listen to Christmas music – Find a local radio station, or make a playlist of Christmas music and listen to it in the car all season.
- Visit Santa – He’s everywhere…at the mall, the tree farm, and even Mobile Santa. And if you can’t make it to see Santa, give him a call. Let your kids dial (951) 262-3062 and hear a message from Santa!
- Christmas Parade – Find details for your local Christmas parade and take the kids! Most East Texas towns have their own parade.
- Family Holiday Photo – Gather up your family and take a holiday photo. Use a tripod or do a selfie. If you want to hire a professional for your family portrait, check out our Guide to East Texas Photographers.
- Teach the Joy of Giving – With your children, donate a new toy to a children’s charity. Take blankets to the homeless shelter. Donate food or your time to the local food bank. Anything to inspire the spirit of giving.
- Make Ornaments – Make a special ornament with your kids. It will be a special memory year after year. Need ideas? Try our Pinterest board, or see how I made my favorite ornament “Mistletoes“.
- Wrap Gifts – Wrapping gifts together can be so much fun. Play your Christmas music or have a Christmas movie on in the background and enjoy working together with your family.
- Holiday Train Ride – Ride the Texas State Railroad Polar Express train from Palestine. Or make an imaginary “Polar Express” train at home; have tickets, hot chocolate, pass out jingle bells and watch the movie.
- Christmas Movie Night – Pull the couch right in front of the fireplace and television, pop some popcorn, make some hot chocolate and get cozy together!
- Christmas Cookie Party – Let your kids invite some friends over and decorate Christmas cookies together.
- Christmas Lights – Go to Santa Land on I-20 just east of Lindale for a brilliant lights display, or just take a drive through your neighborhood enjoying the lights and decorations.
Please comment and let us know your fun, memory making Christmas activities in East Texas!